The opinions shared in the GymNation blog articles are solely those of the respective authors and may not represent the perspectives of GymNation or any member of the GymNation team.
How can doing lighter workouts like Alaya F help?
SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE DAY PASS TODAY!
We all have those days when we feel ‘less is more’, especially on the fitness front.
Rather than abandoning your exercise regimen, it's beneficial to engage in some physical activity to maintain regularity in your journey toward fitness.
Alaya F also experienced a similar sentiment and chose to do a less intense workout at the gym recently when she was not in high spirits. She posted a short video of her exercising with weight plates, captioning it, "Opted for a lighter workout today as I was feeling quite down..."
Taking a cue from ALaya‘s workout of the day, we decided to decode why keeping your workout lighter on days when you are not feeling up to the mark helps.
🔍 Read More: Ready to elevate your fitness journey? Dive deeper with BMI Calculator, BMR Calculator, TDEE Calculator, and Body Fat Calculator. Uncover the science behind your health!
When should you opt for lighter workouts?
There are various situations where you need to workout light such as –
1. Rest day – If you take a rest day in between your workouts, you can do a lighter workout for quick recovery from muscular fatigue, shared fitness expert Garima Goyal.
2. Injury or illness – If you have undergone any kind of injury such as a sprain etc., prefer having a lighter workout so that you do no more damage. Also during any illness, it is best to perform light workouts to boost the immune function.
3. Recovery post-workout – After an intense workout, doing light exercises will cool you down and help to recover the body.
4. Muscle soreness and fatigue – When your muscles feel sore, try working out light for easy recovery and not exhausting your body.
5. Energy boost – On the days when you feel tired or lazy, rather than skipping exercise, choose a light workout as it will feel you energised and active.
6. Mental health – Light exercises help to reduce the body’s stress level and help to alleviate mood.
7. While travelling – When you are travelling and don’t have access to equipment, try performing light exercises just to stay active and feel fresh.
8. Active lifestyle – If you want to adopt an active lifestyle, light exercises such as walking will help to do the same and make you physically active.
Types of lighter workouts you can opt for
*Walking or jogging – Try going on a walk or target for 10,000 steps a day to make your body move the entire day.
*Yoga – This is the best form of exercise to perform on your low days or for overall health including strength, flexibility, and joint mobility as well as relaxation.
*Stretching – For flexibility of the body, perform stretching exercises to ease muscle movement.
*Swimming – Swimming is a low-impact exercise that is fun too. Most importantly it is easy on the joints.
*Body weight exercises – This includes squats, pushups, planks, etc. To keep it lightweight, try doing it with low intensity and less repetitions.
*Cycling – This is a light form of cardiovascular exercise that is relaxing and fun too.
*Meditation – This includes deep breathing exercises that are full of relaxation and calming in nature.